Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jan. 19 - Hibernation in Paradise


                As of today, I’ve been here at Sunsport Gardens for a month. It’s been a very leisurely life; very different from the grueling 30-mile a day grind. Part of me wants to settle down and live like this for the rest of my life, but deep inside I know this is only for a limited time. Maybe someday I’ll come back to this life and settle down here, but for now this reprieve is only temporary. At least that’s how I’m feeling at the moment. Honestly, my life could go any direction from here. Most of all I want to study the Word and grow spiritually; where or how that happens is yet to be seen.
                I worked for Mary Anne for two weeks before she got word that her mother had died and had to fly immediately to Ontario. I was staying on the resort as her guest, so her departure should have left me without a place to stay, but things worked out for me to remain on the resort, and when she gets back I expect she will want me to continue work, so my immediate needs are met. Other’s here have also spoken to me about job possibilities. I applied for an online job and I passed all the qualification tests, but it’s been a week and I haven’t been given an assignment yet, so I don’t know if anything will come of that.
Until Mary Anne gets back, I have plenty of free time which I’ve spent on an in-depth study on the life and teachings of Christ. I’ve been praying about how I might start some small ministry or outlet, and the thought has occurred to me that I might be able to start up a weekly Bible study here. In a conversation with one of the pastors from Community of Hope, he also suggested that I consider a Bible study here, and just the other day Dave, the manager here encouraged me to start a weekly study group and told me that I would have full management support! I guess the message is clear, I’m supposed to start a Bible study group here. I’m a little intimidated by the thought but I’m sure it would be an interesting experience. I have had many engaging conversations here about God and spirituality. A small minority here are conservative Christians, but most who call themselves Christians track in the more liberal direction. Several who I’ve talked to mix Christian beliefs with pieces of other religions and philosophies. Despite the broad range of opinions, everyone seems to have a good opinion of Jesus as a person. They disagree about what He taught and stood for (they all seem to think that He secretly agreed with them) but was misrepresented in times since. If I’m going to organize a weekly event, I feel the best place to start would be with Jesus and what He taught, so that’s why I’ve been focusing all my free time on that. I’ve spent several days pacing the loop around the resort listening to a lecture series on the life of Christ and taking notes as I listen. I’m hoping to get a topical outline together in time to start the study sometime in February.
                When it’s time for a break from the studies, there’s plenty other things to enjoy here on the resort. The pool, hot-tub, and sauna are always nice. There’s also a variety of events put on including a weekly oldies dance, potluck, karaoke, and other activities. There are also organized games of volley ball, tennis, and Pétanque. Neither the social events nor the competitive games interest me much. I prefer the nature trails, Bible study, and my writing projects. There are several young families with children that live here and I’ve greatly enjoyed interacting with the kids. They love to catch the little snakes and lizards that live in the back woods. Yesterday I spent most of the day out there with a ten-year old girl hunting through the forest on our hands and knees. We originally set out to catch critters to put in a big plastic terrarium, but we ended up switching over to air potatoes. Air potatoes are seed pods that fall from an invasive vine that grows everywhere here. Since management wants to eradicate the plant, they pay 10¢ a pound for these seed pods. After crawling through the bushes for three hours we found forty pounds of the air potatoes. We pretended to be raccoons foraging for food. By the end of the day we were both covered from head-to-toe in dirt, leaves, and scratches, but I had more fun than I’ve had in a long time and she got four dollars toward a pet bird she wants to buy.
                A couple days ago I found a rusty old bike on Mary Anne’s lot. I inflated the flat tires and with a little WD-40 the shifter started working, so I took it into town last Wednesday to run some errands. Kasey Castle runs the student ministries out of Community of Hope and she heads up a young-adults Bible study at Panera Bread every Wednesday morning, so I went to that and then spent the rest of the morning  shopping for a few supplies and depositing my recent earnings in the bank. Though Sunsport is in a very rural area, this nearby city has all the conveniences and big supermarkets I could need, so it’s a great location. Besides the Wednesday morning group, I’ve also started going to a Tuesday night Men’s group at the church. I’m attending a membership class on Sunday afternoons right after the church service, but when that finishes up I’ll be going to another young-adult’s study on Sunday afternoons. I’ve been able to meet several people at the church and they all have been wonderful! They made me feel like family as soon as I walked in the door, and the more I get plugged in the more thankful I am that I found this group. I was at a beautiful concert there last evening. A particularly emotional song brought to the surface a great deal of pain over family issues I’m dealing with right now. When a young man I’ve never met saw me in tears he put his arm around me and just prayed for me! If all churches had such compassion for broken and hurting people, America would not be in the condition it’s in.
                I may not be done my traveling yet; I may have more exploring to get out of my system, but when all is said and done, I feel like I may have found the home I’ll be coming back to. I love the family-oriented atmosphere at Sunsport. I can’t think of another place I’d rather raise my kids and I love Community of Hope church right down the road and the town nearby. Ultimately, my life has been so crazy and unpredictable it would be silly for me to think I can plan ahead with any certainty. But all the same, I like to have a default plan in the back of my mind just in case the unexpected doesn’t happen. My default plan for now is to wait out the winter here in Florida and then this summer re-try the walkabout from Canada to Argentina. After that I have another dream of touring Africa on a motorcycle and visiting every country on the continent. I’d like to do something in Europe too, but I can’t think just what yet. Maybe on foot again or maybe a tour in a small motor home. By then, I expect I’ll be ready to settle down, so I’ll head back to whatever place was my favorite along the way. Maybe that will be here, but I’ve hardly begun, so it’s impossible to say at this point.  I’m completely in favor of a young lady entering the picture, but I fully realize it’s not likely I’ll find someone who considers a hand-in-hand walk to Argentina as a good date. Compound that by the low chances of finding someone who shares my unusual faith and philosophy and it becomes clear that I’m praying for a miracle. Maybe the romance will come along after I’m done my travels, but my heart aches a little at the thought of waiting that long. That’s all in the Lord’s hands and I trust Him with it. My driving focus remains to seek after Him with all my heart, soul, and mind. Any logistics beyond that will be handled one day at a time. Since I’ve more-or-less settled in for the winter, blog posts will be less frequent, but don’t hesitate to remind me if I go too long again. I’ll try to keep occasional stories posted about anything of interest than happens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aaron,
    I'm busy cleaning out my inbox & found your blog update & scanning through, my eyes hit upon your dream of touring Africa on a motorcycle. One of my South African cousins, Bevan Tilley, who currently lives in England, rode his motorcycle from Johannesburg to London quite a few years ago. You could find him on facebook (bevan.tilley.1) if you felt inclined to ask him about his experiences. He might still have an old blog somewhere in cyberspace to which he might direct you.
    Did some Googling & found this:
    http://amw.zump.net/bikes/trip.php?report=407
    It appears his blog is no longer active.
    Blessings,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete