Friday, November 16, 2012

Nov. 16 Friday


                Jordan and Jessica are early risers, so I’m on the road again by 8:00 even after a good breakfast. It’s chilly again, enough to frost the ground and glaze the puddles, but I’m warmed up and down to a single thin layer within minutes of starting. The inflammation in my Achilles tendon quickly begins hurting again and a raw spot on the same heel resumes chafing from Wednesday. This pair of boots is new and still pretty stiff, so it’s hard to walk comfortably in them. Today is off to a rough start, but I walk gingerly on that leg and find a steady pace that is comfortable enough to stick to. It’s rural enough here that I have sidewalks, which is always very nice. A middle-aged  couple in fancy walking gear comes up behind me and wants to know where I’m headed with such a heavy load, so I explain that I’m going to see family in Pennsylvania for thanksgiving. We walk together for several minutes while they ask more questions about my journey, and then continue briskly ahead trailing huffs of frosty breath behind them.
                The day passes one hour at a time, as it often seems to do. I’m tracking toward Ellicott City where a friend lives. I know Kali from up in Maine, she was in the Bible quizzing program when I was helping out with that ministry, but she is also related, through marriage and birth, to several mutual friends, so we tend to cross paths periodically. The landscape changes quickly but imperceptibly as I pass back and forth from wide country roads to towns and small cities. I’m trying to be extra careful with my battery because I don’t think I’ll have a chance to charge it tonight, so I’m counting on it lasting into tomorrow. Perhaps I can find a useful map in one of these gas stations so that I don’t have to use the GPS on my phone so much. The first several stations have nothing useful, but when I finally find a map with enough detail it’s only for a limited area and it’s almost $15. As I flip through trying to find where I am, the young Asian boy at the register eyes the bulging pack towering over my head.
                “Are you walking?” he asks in a strong Hindi accent.
                “Yep, I am.”
                “Where did you come from?”
                “I started out in the D.C. area and I’m headed north.”
                “Washington DC!” he exclaims in shock. “You are walking all the way from Washington DC to this place?!” I look up from the map and nod my head,
                “Yea, I am.”
                “How far are you going?”
                “I have cousins in Pennsylvania, so I’m headed there.”
                “Pennsylvania state?!” He stares in wide-eyed disbelief as I nod affirmatively again.  “Never I have heard like this before!” he exclaims shaking his head as I replace the map on its shelf and duck back out the door with a wave goodbye. I give up on finding a map that has both the detail and the breadth I need. I’ll just have to check my phone as little possible and try to make the battery last.
                It’s mid-afternoon by the time I reach Ellicott City and find the condo where Kali is staying. She is working here as a nanny for a while before starting college. She’s invites me in and it feels great to sit down on the couch while we catch up a little. The kids are in school or napping, but her little brother and mother are visiting from Maine, so we all visit for about an hour.
If I had to narrow Kali down to a single word it would have to be “cool.” She’s responsible and mature in many ways, but hip, stylish and always fun to be around. She lives genuine faith without the snobbish externalism of corrupted church culture, and she carries herself with aplomb regardless of others’ judgment. I’ll always remember her for the testimonies she gave around the bonfire at Bible Quiz retreats. She’s been through crushing sorrow and loss, but maintained a faithful testimony as a Christian and an exemplary witness to her unbelieving friends through it all. She’ll do great things, I’m sure.
Well, evening is coming and I have to get outside the city and find a camping spot, so I strap myself back into the pack and head out with a goodbye. I’m limping noticeably by now from the pain in my tendon and the growing blister on my heel. The blister has been causing me to turn my foot slightly to avoid pressure on it, but after several hours of walking like that, my knee begins to swell and lock up. I had hoped to make use of another hour or two of daylight, but I’ve got pain coming from three places in my right leg at this point so I’m ready to break camp as soon as possible. Slightly outside the cluster of condo communities I find a small patch of forest. I feel a little exposed, but hopefully no one notices or calls the police. I slump down with my back against a tree just enjoy being off my feet as the sunlight slowly begins to fade. There’s no sign of rain in the forecast, so I decide not to worry about setting up the tent. The yellow cart and the orange pack blend into the fall foliage, but I’m afraid the tent would get me seen. After several granola bars and handfuls of trail mix I roll my sleeping bag out on the leaves and settle in for the night. The ground is lumpy and uneven with sticks and rocks under the blanket of fallen leaves, but after a little wiggling I settle into a comfortable position and pass the night in a series of shallow naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment