Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nov.14-15 Old Friends



On Wednesday I left Eric & Hannah’s house at 8am and set out for Odenton. Twenty-seven miles is a long stretch for a single day, so I set a strong pace out of Eric’s neighborhood. The temperature rose slowly with the sun and began to soften the frosting on the grass. The puddles were crusted with a crystal glaze, and my hands were cold on the handle bar of my cart, but I could feel the heat building up in my chest. Before long I’d have to peel layers to keep from sweating. Within a block or two I’m already outside the cluster of build-up grocery stores and coffee shops. The sidewalk comes to an abrupt end and I find myself staring down a narrow country road. There’s no space to walk on the side without walking right in the road and traffic is heavy. I check Google maps on my phone for alternate routes, but everything else is a long way around and doesn’t offer any promise for better walking conditions, so I gather up my courage and step out into the busy road. I do my best to keep as far off to the side as possible and as I get farther from the city traffic gradually thins out. The occasional town or small city offers sidewalks or paved shoulders that provide safety from the traffic, but most roads aren’t designed with walkers in mind.
More so than in Maine, I get a lot of funny looks. It’s sort of a smile, but not a smile of happiness. It’s more like a smile of entertainment and amusement. I’m getting used to it and it’s easier to ignore. I’m walking due east, and making good time. There’s a strange pain in my Achilles tendon, and that’s slowing me down, but it gradually feels better as the day wears on. The sun has been hovering low on the horizon all day, but as it drops the temperature falls again. Every time I check the GPS I’m a little closer to Jordan & Jessica. I’ve been nursing the battery in my Android phone all day, but I can only check the screen a few more times before I’m stuck without a map or a way to call for help. Hopefully I’m within an hour of today’s destination. Google maps directs me off the main road onto a small airport where over a hundred single engine planes stand in silence on the tarmac with no sign of anyone but me as I walk alongside the airstrip. According to Google maps there’s an access road that cuts through a wildlife preserve area straight to Jordan & Jessica’s house on the other side, but at the end of the runway I come to what I feared I would find. A barbed-wire fence and a gate locked with a rusty padlock. A doe inside the fence jolts to rigid attention and watches me warily. She need not worry; this gate is the end of the line for me. The battery warning on my phone is flashing red as I look for an alternate route around. The sun is already set and dark is now falling quickly. Any route around looks to be at least two hours more, but my battery will die before that and leave me lost and stranded. Praying for a few more seconds of battery time, I call Jessica to see if she can come pick me up. I do my best to describe where I am over the phone, but she doesn’t know of the airport I’m describing. “Don’t worry,” She finally says, “we’ll find you.” Standing there and waiting I realize just how cold it’s gotten, but before long I see a little Honda Civic with two familiar smiles inside. Within a few minutes we break down my cart and puzzle the pieces into the small car. I’m relieved to be off my feet and found before my phone battery died.
Jordan and Jessica are college friends of mine from Bob Jones University. They’re the kind of match only God could have made. It really is amazing how perfect they are for each other. They are both brilliant beyond comprehension. They work as programmers at Fort Meade for cyber security. They’re the kind of people who can learn a new language in a matter of months and tell you every detail about how your computer works. I knew Jessica for a few years before she found Jordan. Unlike many hopelessly awkward nerd programmers, Jessica is always a radiating picture of exuberant joy and beauty with an electric happiness that lifts everyone around her. I took her on a date once in college, but it felt like dating my sister. Jordan also is brilliant, but still a social butterfly and fascinating to listen to. He could explain the chemical dynamics of how paint dries and keep you hanging on every word, and he’s the kind of friend everyone needs. We get into several deep theological conversations and even in the difficult issues where most people lose my logical progression, Jordan and Jess effortlessly know exactly what I’m talking about. It’s so very wonderful to be with them again! We enjoy a little time of fellowship and a hot bowl of supper and I get a much needed shower before heading out to their Wednesday night Bible study at church. It’s a Presbyterian church, so the atmosphere a little austere to me but still very deep and genuine. I’m especially impressed that even the very young children are intently engaged in the sermon and share insightful comments and ask the pastor to define difficult words so they can better understand! I've never seen anything like this before! When I meet the pastor after the sermon I learn that he has done some long-distance walking himself and has some good tips and advice for me. Back at Jordan and Jessica’s apartment I settle into a comfy mattress for a good night’s sleep. Thursday is spent just resting at the apartment while my friends are at work. It feels good to recuperate, but Friday morning dawns chilly and expectant. It’s time say goodbye again and start north.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Aaron, you have so many nice things to say about us! We loved the chance to see you and are glad you enjoyed your time with us. Of minor note, our church is Baptist, not Presbyterian. But I suppose the theology is pretty similar to Presbyterian. :) By the way, Pastor Shane emailed me a link yesterday that he thought would interest you--http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/camp12.htm. Hope all is well! I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Sorry about the mistake, I was sure it was a Presbyterian church. Thanks for the link! That was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete