Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nov.4th Sunday in Machias


Sunday Nov 4th

There’s a damp heaviness in the air when I wake up and from inside I can see beads of rain clinging to the outside of the tent. The forecast said sunny till Wednesday. It suddenly hits me that I left BOTH pairs of boots sitting outside. I jolt awake and unzip the tent-flap to see my boots sitting in front of the entrance where I left them. They’re not completely soaked yet so it must not have been raining for long. It feels similar to making a sock out of a fresh fish. I’ll have to be more careful about remembering to take them in the tent with me at night.
I peel two more oranges with my fingernails, break off a chunk of chocolate, and eat a few granola bars. I’m too lazy to cook oatmeal this morning. I’m planning to attend Downeast Baptist Church, so last night I hiked just outside of town to find it and camped in the woods across the road from the building. A small grassy clearing made a good spot for the tent except I had to roll around a little to get comfortable between the lumps in the ground. Because of the time change last night I have an extra hour to kill, so I read several chapters from a borrowed book until it’s time to cross the road for church.
The building is recent construction and contemporary in design. The tiled foyer smells like fresh coffee and I enter unnoticed, but quickly catch the attention of several older men in dark suits and ties who greet me with hearty handshakes and enthusiastic smiles. Questions about where I’m from and what I’m doing in the area quickly have me explaining the walkabout. One man has already heard about my trek from someone up north. Other’s know my family and brothers from their missionary exploits. The circles of independent fundamental Baptists run small and tight. Sunday School begins with a few choruses by Garlock and Hamilton. The lesson is introduced with a humorous anecdote and becomes an examination of Muslim religion from a Christian perspective. I grab a cup of coffee between services and answer more questions about the walkabout. The worship service begins with a few traditional hymns. They sing every verse. Another humorous anecdote introduces a loosely exegetical sermon. Before the preacher gets to his final points the aroma of turkey and stuffing is floating in from the kitchen. One thing Baptists know how to do well is fellowship! After two heaping plates of traditional Thanksgiving food I slump contentedly back into the sanctuary for the closing communion service. A few more hymns, every verse…another introductory humorous anecdote…a loosely exegetical sermon. There’s a certain measured pace and structure in fundamental Baptist churches that bring back a variety of memories. I leave with many hearty good-byes and a large freezer bag of leftovers. I’ll stroll back down to the McDonalds to check email and post this, then spend the remainder of my afternoon reading. I have to be on the other side of town tomorrow morning to get my third wisdom tooth pulled. That should be exciting. Then I’ll pack up camp and be back on the move. It’s been nice to take a break and stay put, but the days are getting very short and this mild weather won’t last.

To get e-mail notifications whenever I post new stories enter your email in the white box at the top-right corner of this page. You can unsubscribe at any time. I also have a walkabout Facebook page where I post more pictures and status updates. That is available here: "Walkabout the Word" Facebook page(Opens in a new page).
There is also a specific Walkabout YouTube channel where I'll upload periodical videos from the road. Click here for that: Walkabout YouTube channel (opens in new page) You can subscribe directly from YouTube or watch for updates on the blog and FB page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment