Sunday, December 23, 2012

Dec 23 Mary-Anne


                The morning dawned cold and wet. My sleeping bag and the grass around me is drenched in dew. I can’t decide if skipping the tent was the right choice. I have to meet Dave at quarter to nine for church, so I hurry boiling up my breakfast and packing my things.
                When Dave picks me up I meet his wife Becky, and we head off to Palms West Presbyterian Church. They have a traditional service at 10:30, but we’re going to the 9 o’clock contemporary service. Dave says the traditional service is quite formal, so I’m glad they have two services. It’s a lovely building with beautiful floor-to-ceiling glass walls on each side of the sanctuary. In his usual jovial fashion, Dave eagerly introduces me to many of his friends. They’re certainly a friendly and joyful group of people and it’s a blessing to be surrounded by Christian family again.
When the music starts up it’s mostly songs I’ve never heard before. They aren't exactly chart-toppers. The cadence and rhythm just doesn’t flow smoothly. I’m usually a really bad judge of music; I just don’t have the refined taste to notice the subtle nuances, but even I can tell that the lady on the microphone leading the singing is not a talented singer. Maybe it’s just the songs, I don’t’ know, but something is off. When she reads through the announcements for the week I can’t detect a personality. There’s a pair of large screens displaying the words for the music, but the video guy seems to be struggling to keep the words centered on the screen or even on the correct slide. For nearly half of each song, he’s flicking through random verses and choruses trying to find what slide we’re on. For friendliness and hospitality this church gets an A+, but not so much in the media department. No biggie though, that’s not a major issue to me, but I know it often makes a strong first impression for visitors; especially in my generation and younger.
                When the young pastor steps up to the platform, the fourth Advent candle is lit and he preaches a topical sermon on the theme of the fourth candle. He has a solid exegetical style and a faithful adherence to the text. He seems like a really nice guy too, with a humble, personable attitude. The sermon closes with a chorus where we all hold hands and sing a song. There’s a half hour of refreshments and fellowship before the traditional service starts, so I meet several more of Dave’s friends and enjoy a few snacks. His wife, Becky needs to stay through the traditional service to sing in the choir, so Dave brings me back to Sunsport and drops me of at the front office.
                I’ve just got a half hour left till I have to either sign out or pay more, so I need to go find this “Mary Anne” that supposedly has some work for me. Her lot was pointed out to me earlier. It’s a large lot, actually just about the largest in the whole village. It’s hemmed in thickly by broad palm fronds. There’s a mid-sized RV and a Volkswagen camping van in the parking space. Behind them in the thick trees there’s a camper trailer that looks like it’s been parked there for 50 years. There’s a rotting deck built most of the way around it, and old cedar shingles have been nailed directly to the aluminum shell of the camper. I hear a circular saw running out back so I work my way around to find a middle aged man building a storage shed out back.
                “Is Mary Anne around?”
                “Uh, yea, she should be right inside.” He starts toward me.
                “Theresa at the office told me Mary Anne might have some work for me.” He opens the door to the camper and enters calling out her name. There’s no answer.
                “It looks like she must have gone somewhere. She’s probably not far. She’s easy to spot too. She’s the only person here with multi colored hair.”
                “Multi-colored?” He nods. “Like… natural colors?”
                “No.”
                “Okay, Thanks. I’ll see if I can find her.” As I turn around a see a large older lady pulling into the driveway in a golf car. Her grey hair is filled with highlights in purple and pink. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess this is Mary Anne.
                “Hello, Mary Anne?”
                “Yes!” Her smile is almost explosive.
                “I’m Aaron Frost, Theresa at the front desk told me you were looking for someone to do some work for you. I’m looking for work in the area, so I’m available for hire. Are you still needing someone do to that for you?
                “Why yes! Absolutely!” Wow… she’s… spunky!
                I’ve got several years’ experience in both grounds maintenance and carpentry…” she interrupts.
                “Oh, so you’re a landscaper!!” Well I didn’t exactly say that, but…
                “Yea, depending on what you want, I can probably do whatever you need.” She seems elated by this prospect and hurries me over to the far side of the camper where she wants to put in a walkway with masonry blocks. You don’t’ have to be a landscaper for that. As we round the other side of the camper there is a large addition actually constructed directly into the back side of the camper and adding nearly three times the original footprint. The back yard is overgrown with native palm shrubs and bushes. Between plants there’s a variety of items that make the lot look like a cross between an art studio and a land fill. The items are strewn and piled everywhere. Some of it looks like it’s been here since before I was born. Mary Anne explains that the spot used to belong to an artist. I can see evidence of his copper sculptures and plaster casts sticking out from underneath the overgrown vegetation. Al is working away busily on the new shed out back. As we circle the building Mary Anne points out one project after another as fast as she can talk. Within minutes it seems like she’s just suggested several months’ worth of work. She’s the kind of person who has difficulty completing her sentences. She will start talking, but get stuck on a word she can’t remember, get impatient and just jump straight to her next idea. I’d say she’s one of the most eccentric people I’ve met. Ever. As we round the next corner there’s another camper that looks even older. It’s literally rotting straight into the ground where it sits.
                “This is the main project.” She informs me. “Moorley says that if I don’t have this shed emptied and removed by the end of the month, they’re going to scoop the whole thing into a dumpster and bill me for it!” I’m thinking if I was her I’d take the offer. Next she takes me into the camper. I guess I should call it a house since it has a deck built around it, hasn’t moved in decades, and has a large addition built on to it. The inside is a rat’s nest of random things in piles from floor to ceiling with narrow pathways. She points out a flooring job that needs to be done and a tiling job in another section. I’ve definitely got some job security here!
                “So are you saying here on the resort?” She asks
                “Well, I came yesterday on the free-day pass and just rented a tent site for the night, but I wasn’t going to be able to stay unless I found work to pay for a membership. If you think you can keep me busy for a while I’ll go ahead and sign up to stay for a while.
                “Oh, you don’t need to do that. My membership allows me to have one guest for free, so you can just stay here on my lot if you like and I’ll even feed you.”
                “Well, that sounds like a really good option actually. That would save me quite a bit!”
                “Hop right in the golf cart and we’ll head over to the office to get you signed up as my guest.” Within a few minutes I am officially approved to stay at Sunsport indefinitely for absolutely no cost whatsoever! And I have a job! It’s only minimum wage, but with my living expenses covered, it’s all gravy! This is a huge answer to prayer! I never even imagined something this good working out! She treats me to lunch at the restaurant and we head back to her lot and get right to work.
She sets me up emptying an overstuffed closet and setting up shelves inside. As I unpack the closet I find a mixture of tools, supplies, food, and anything else imaginable stacked into the spot. I’ve got a feeling this is going to be one of the most interesting jobs I’ve ever had. On the list of things to do I’ve got tiling, landscaping, carpentry, gardening, and more grunt-labor than I could ever list. Mary Anne may be crazy, but she’s a cool kind of crazy and a lot of fun.
As it gets dark, I finish up for the day. My hammock goes up between two trees in her back yard and the sleeping bag lines the inside to keep me toasty until the warm sun returns in the morning. It looks like I’m set for several weeks at the very least, and by the time I’m finished up working for Mary Anne, I’ll be better established in the village and more people may ask me to do similar things for them! If I ever do run out of work, I’ll have some savings built up from having lived without rent, so I would have time to look for work at any of the farms or plant nurseries in the area while still living here. I just might end up making out quite well.
               

               







  

1 comment: